While we would love to accept all items, a staff member must look through incoming donations to ensure they will sell.
- Donations are accepted 10 a.m. - 3 p.m. Tuesday through Saturday.
- No donations are accepted on the last day of the month.
- No clothing are donations accepted on Saturday.
- If you're able, please give us a call at (707) 826-7387 before bringing large amounts of items or pieces that may require staff assistance to unload.
- Donations are accepted 11 a.m. - 5 p.m. Tuesday through Saturday.
- If you're able, please give us a call at (707) 668-1800 before bringing large amounts of items or pieces that may require staff assistance to unload.
Your donations make all the difference for the animals. Here we explain the various ways that you can donate to us and the direct impact that your donation will have in improving an animal's life. To become a general monthly donor to our cause, please use the option at the top of the page. To make a one-time donation to a specific are of our work, please click one of the descriptive buttons.
Our animals can always benefit from the direct donation of items that help them stay clean, healthy, and happy during their time with us. The following is a list of items which we are happy to accept on behalf of our animals at either of our store locations.
- Non-expired medications including flea medication for dogs and cats.
- Quality cat and dog food, both dry and canned. If you want to buy new food to donate please contact us and we can help you with ideas!
- Bleach, scrub sponges, Clorox or Lysol wipes, and paper towels.
- Laundry soap (unscented preferred).
- Unscented clay litter or unscented clumping litter.
- Dog and cat toys, treats.
- Gift cards for Humboldt Pet Supply, Arcata Pet, The Farm Store or any other animal stores in Humboldt.
- Gift cards to Myrtle Ave. Veterinary Hospital, McKinleyville Animal Care Center or Sunny Brae Animal Clinic.
Operating a mobile vet unit is a goal of ours that, when realized, will allow us to bring affordable veterinary care out to areas where it is needed most. It is the unfortunate case that not only do low-income individuals have difficulty affording most veterinary care for their companions, but in many locations they do not have access to a clinic even if they have the funds. Our mobile vet unit will travel out to remote areas so that more animals in Humboldt can receive they veterinary care they need, regardless of location and wealth.
From a statistical perspective, nothing helps out animals in Humboldt more than providing affordable spay/neuter services. Slowing the birthrate down is critical not only in terms of saving resources and finding homes for the animals already living, but also for preventing the expansion of feral colonies. Feral colonies increase suffering in our communities in several ways. First the domestically-bred animals that live in them are not well-suited to living in the wild and are susceptible to many dangers, primarily disease. The spread of disease in feral colonies also leads to the spread of disease among non-feral animals that they come into contact with, such as pet cats and dogs. Finally ecological damage is greatly increased by non-native predators encroaching on native-species territory, particularly in terms of cats hunting birds. CAF helps provide spay/neuter assistance to low-income individuals as well as helping trap and spay/neuter feral cats to prevent colonies from growing. We spay/neuter every animal that we rescue and we do not adopt animals out without being spayed/neutered, nor do we take in surrendered litters from individuals who are unwilling to spay/neuter the parents that bred them.
A healthy diet, a clean and stimulating environment, and proper medical care are the keys to have healthy, happy animals. At CAF we want to make sure every animal in our care gets the best resources for growing a sharp mind and a strong body by having access to all these things. We often have anywhere from 10-40 animals in our care, and you can imagine how much that adds up! If you want to know that your donation is directly helping the friends you make in our kitten room, donate here to ensure that we can afford to give each one of them the very best each day. We can assure you that a drop of kibble is never wasted at CAF!